Joe Corrigan from Newbridge won the first RIBSA Snooker Intermediate Event on Saturday the 17th of September in Celbridge Snooker Club in Celbridge Town in County Kildare.
To support the European Week of Sport the Republic of Ireland Billiards & Snooker Association (RIBSA) have decided to offer free entry into this RIBSA tournaments.
Celbridge snooker club was the venue for the first intermediate ranking event of the season, and there were 45 entries. The draw threw up some very interesting pairings, but it was Karl O'Donoghue from Drogheda, who brought his "A" game and breezed through his first 3 matches without losing a frame. Stephen Bateman was next to face Karl in the quarter final. Stephen's safety play helped him win 2 frames, but Karl's excellent potting saw him emerge victorious. 3 frames to 2.
None of the top 8 seeded players got past the last 16. Daniel Dempsey beat Alan Cusack also on a 3-2 score line. Aaron Holland beat Richie Flynn. 3-0 and Joe Corrigan beat Andy McCloskey also 3-0.
Both semi finals were one sided affairs with Karl beating Daniel and Joe beating Aaron, both 3-0.
The final was a cagey affair with both players afraid to make mistakes, but it was Joe's tactical noise that got the better of Karl's fantastic potting, with Joe winning 3-2.
High breaks on the day were ; Stephen Bateman 67, 58 and 55. Karl O'Donoghue 61, 60, 59, 58, 55 ,53. Martin Thorpe 83. Philip O'Connor 58. Richie Toal 74. Richie Flynn 98.
My Thanks to Celbridge snooker club for the use of their premises. Thanks also to all the players who participated in the tournament. A sincere thank you to the referee on the day Shane Mason for his help which was above and beyond the call of duty.
Ger Murray, Tournament director.
You can now text your entry to the RIBSA Text number 085 2428701. This year will feature an exciting RIBSA Intermediate Snooker Tour around Ireland and a National Intermediate Championship at the end of the season.
Guidelines for eligibility to play this season:
1. Any player who finished in the Top 16 on the Senior Rankings in the previous 3 seasons or is in the top 16 of the current list at time of draw.
2. Current and former Irish Senior Champions.
3. Current and former WPBSA main tour players.
4. Former Senior Internationals.
Players in all above categories may apply to RIBSA to play in intermediates in writing (Email is acceptable).
RIBSA council reserves the right to review the eligibility of all players who enter Intermediate events
You can now text your entry to 085 2428701. This is a text number only and you must include your name, club and the event you want to enter by the closing date. Entry fees are payable on the morning of the event and entries will be accepted up to 1pm on the Friday before the tournament.
No player will be permitted to enter a tournament if he or she has money outstanding from a previous tournament this season.
The Entry fee will be €20 for seniors and €10 for juniors plus RIBSA registration.
RIBSA registration fee are 21 and over - €15.00, 16-20 - €10.00 and Under 16 - €5.00
Players must be properly dressed for all RIBSA competitions. The dress code is dark shoes, dark one coloured trousers (no jeans), one coloured shirt buttoned at the wrist and waistcoat. Waistcoats must be worn for all matches. National Waistcoats are not permissible. Matches will commence @ 10.30am.
A Copy of the Rules for all tournaments will be available at the tournaments.
1. Alan Cusack
2. Darragh Cusack
3. Alan O'Connor - Shooters
4. Paddy Brady - Embassy Sligo
5. Colvin O'Brien - Ivy Rooms
6. Ronda Sheldreck - Celbridge
7. Daniel Dempsey - Newbridge CYMS
8. Aman Goel - North West
9. Andy McCloskey - New Institute
10 Joe Corrigan
11. Clive Smith - Wicklow
12. Paula Judge
13. Keith O'Reilly - Newbridge CYMS
14. Matty Williams - Newbridge CYMS
15. Jim Carrick - Newbridge CYMS
16. Martin Thorpe - Newbridge CYMS
18. Chris Humphries - Dublin
19. Peter Dunne - Dublin
20. Paul Keighery - Ballinasloe SC
21. Philip O'Connor - Darcy McGees
22. Dylan Carey - Darcy McGees
23. Brian McPhee - Potters Drogheda
24. Benny OBrien - Kilkenny Shed
25. James McGuinness - Kilkenny Shed
26. Alan Mooney - Celbridge
27. Richard O'Sullivan - Wicklow
28. Stephen Bateman - Kilkenny Shed
29. Martin Kearney = Potters Drogheda
30. Dean Washington - Potters Drogheda
31. Aaron Holland - Joey's
32. Jimmy Flanagan - Ballinasloe SC
33. Richie Toal - St. Mary's Mullingar
34. Richie Flynn - Hawk's Nest
35. Phil Martin - Celbridge
36. Jonny Friel - Potters Drogheda
37. Diarmuid O'Connor - NUI Maynooth
38. Karl Ellis - Q's Clondalkin
39. Paul Ludden - ALSAA
40. James Higgins - Tuam
41. Ollie Martyn - Tuam
42. Damien Reynolds - Celbridge
43. John O'Boyle - Kiltullagh
44. Michelle French - Newbridge CYMS
45. Robert McGee - Potters Drogheda
46. Andrew Yeates - Navan
The following players are ineligible to play